Nothing complicated for this candy like vegetable side.
- 1 ½ lbs carrots sliced ½ inch thick
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Place carrots in a large pan and add 2 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil and then allow to simmer for 10 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Drain any excess water.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for parsley to the pan and stir to coat the carrots.
- Cook for 5 minutes on medium high heat. Stirring occasionally until a syrup like sauce has formed.
- Top with parsley and serve.
It almost doesn’t matter what kind of potatoes you have left over you can make them into another meal. It is really quite simple.
Left over Potato Casserole
This could be Au Gratin, Scalloped, Hash brown casserole, etc.
Place in a sauce pan and add milk (1/2 cup for every cup of left over casserole). Set the burner to med-hi and bring to a slow boil stirring constantly. Voila! You have potato soup! Toss in a bit of ham or top with some bacon to make it loaded potato soup.
These make an awesome soup when you reheat them as well but one of our favorites is:
- 1 Cup of left over mashed potatoes
- 3/4 Cup of flour
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 Cup of milk
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place left over mashed potatoes into a large mixing bowl.
- Add all ingredients and mix well. The batter will be lumpy.
- Put some oil in a large skillet and heat on hi.
- Lower the temperature to med-med hi and add a spoonful of the batter to the hot oil.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes until the bottom of the potato cake is golden brown, flip and repeat.
You can serve them as is or top with cheese or sour cream. Get creative and think about all things that go well potatoes. We eat them as a meal with apple sauce on the side or add them to a nice egg and toast breakfast.
Light, Love and Peace
|Ready to bake!
Last night’s dinner was smoked sausage, homemade baked beans and fresh salad. This is the first time I have made baked beans that actually turned out edible. The secret, is letting your beans soak long enough to really become soft.
- 2 cups of soaked northern beans
- 2 Pieces of bacon
- 2 small pieces of ham cubed
- 1 TBS Dijon Mustard
- 2 TBS Ketchup
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (molasses would work as well)
- 3 TBS of Brown Sugar
- 1 medium onion (optional) minced
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix all the ingredients, I did it directly in a baking dish.
- Cover and place in the oven.
- Bake for a minimum of 1 hour to allow everything to blend together.
|Not much was left.
And there you have it homemade baked beans. Just a quick note, the longer you bake your beans the more the flavors meld together.
***Note*** I am adding to the recipe after making it. I highly recommend doubling the liquids called for the in the recipe or it will come out very dry! I ended up adding some homemade BBQ to it to get it right. I will share that recipe another day.