- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons minced yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chicken broth 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring constantly, until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Whisk in flour, whisking constantly 1 minute.
- Whisk in broth and milk; bring to a boil over medium-high.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Use immediately, or cool completely and store in sealed containers or jars in refrigerator up to a week.
- Cream of Celery: Add 2 tablespoons finely chopped celery to onion and garlic. Stir in 1 tablespoon finely chopped celery leaves along with salt and pepper. Proceed with step 1, and follow recipe as directed.
- Cream of Mushroom: Sauté 1/2 cup finely chopped mushrooms in 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high. Proceed with step 1, and follow recipe as directed.
- Cream of chicken: brown and dice your chicken in the pan and set aside. Then proceed with step 1.