I love making crisps. I don’t do it near often enough for my own satisfaction but that will change one of these days.
- 1/2 cup of all purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup rolled oats (not quick oats)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp apple pie spice (aka 1:1/2:1/2 ratio of cinnamon:nutmeg:clove)
- 6 TBS softened butter
- 2/3 cup coarse chopped walnuts or pecans (nuts are always optional but highly recommended)
- 1/2 cup grannulated sugar (I have made the equivalent substitution of stevia and it worked just fine)
- 1/4 cup all purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp apple spice
- 3 cups peeled sliced tart apples — Granny Smith
- 3 cups peeled slice sweet apples — Delicious
- 2 TBS boiled apple cider
- 3/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- Vanilla ice cream
- Stir together all ingredients until they become coarse crumbles.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9x9x2 square pan
- In a large bowl stir in sugar, flour and apple pie spice.
- Toss apples gently until coated.
- Press apples gently into an even, though slightly mounded layer in the pan.
- Mixed boiled cider and 2 TBS of caramel sauce and drizzle over apples.
- Sprinkle nuts and topping over the apples.
- Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes.
Warm the remaining caramel sauce and drizzle over the crisp and then serve with vanilla ice cream.