I use this recipe for plain oatmeal cookies or combine the dough with raisins, craisins or dates. I have also been known to take a shallow glass baking pan and make cereal bars with it. It comes out soft and tasty!
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 1 cup of packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups quick oats
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Beat in eggs one at a time and add vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and stir together.
- Add in quick oats and mix thoroughly.
- Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 after chilling and grease a cookie sheet.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 — 10 minutes.
- Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes. Allow to continue to cool or eat.
To make cereal bar, spread 1/4 inch of dough in bottom of greased glass baking pan. Spread fruit preserve of choice. Cover with another 1/4 inch layer of dough. Bake for 10-15 minutes. Allow to cool before slicing to individual bars.
To add fruit, use 1 cup of fruit.