This and pumpkin soup are two of my favorite fall soups. This recipe is interchangeable between the two.
- 2 Carrots cut to 1 inch pieces
- 1 chopped sweet onion
- 3 lbs butternut squash (or pumpkin) chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 3 TBS White Wine Vinegar
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper (omit for pumpkin soup)
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce (omit for pumpkin or if you do not like spicy food)
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Saute carrots and onions in dutch oven (heavy stock pot will work as well) on medium high heat until lightly brown.
- Add squash, broth and orange zest and bring to a boil.
- Cover and lower heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in cream and remaining ingredients. Allow to cool.
- Process with a handheld blender or put into a regular blender. Blend it all until smooth and creamy.
You can serve this cold or piping hot.
Light, Love and Peace!