|Ready to bake!|
Last night’s dinner was smoked sausage, homemade baked beans and fresh salad. This is the first time I have made baked beans that actually turned out edible. The secret, is letting your beans soak long enough to really become soft.
- 2 cups of soaked northern beans
- 2 Pieces of bacon
- 2 small pieces of ham cubed
- 1 TBS Dijon Mustard
- 2 TBS Ketchup
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (molasses would work as well)
- 3 TBS of Brown Sugar
- 1 medium onion (optional) minced
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix all the ingredients, I did it directly in a baking dish.
- Cover and place in the oven.
- Bake for a minimum of 1 hour to allow everything to blend together.
|Not much was left.|
And there you have it homemade baked beans. Just a quick note, the longer you bake your beans the more the flavors meld together.
***Note*** I am adding to the recipe after making it. I highly recommend doubling the liquids called for the in the recipe or it will come out very dry! I ended up adding some homemade BBQ to it to get it right. I will share that recipe another day.